Aborted entoloma?

dualsetters

I am pretty sure these are them. I believe there are many entolomas in these woods, but rather not mess with them. These type sound simpler. I don't know if they are a gimme or if honeys have to be present or what it takes. I am curious to if they are worth gathering. There is a nice bunch of them present.

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

Thanks Tasso.

I read about the mix up and how it is now believed that it is the Armillaria that is actually parasitized. Nothing goes into much depth on if it is only A. mellea possibly A. tabescens or all Armillarias. I have never seen honey mushrooms here and the only other mushroom I have seen here are what I believe to be other entolomas( possibly E. lividium), C. nuda and the brown mushroom growing along with the E. abortivum in my picture. I don't believe it is a honey, but I suppose it could be a ringless honey or other Armillaria.

I just wondered if it is safe to assume that these are parasitized honeys and edible.

Something else I thought to add.

I don't believe there are any oaks present. At this point I have read that honeys grow around oaks and the few clusters I have found were growing on and around oaks. These mushrooms were growing amongst maples.

I think I will return today and further examine these mushrooms.

I have seen lots of Aborted Entoloma this fall. Some fruitings featured only aborted forms, some only the grayish mushroom with the pinkish (in mature versions) decurrent gills, and some with both types together. I saw few (if any) fruitings of E. abortivum where there were also normally formed Honeys. Most --if not all-- of these observations were made where beech trees were present, and not in oak-dominated woods. I got lots of nice normal Honeys in the oak woods, about two weeks ago. Seems to me like the Entoloma is taking over the Honey's beech-woods territory. In years past, these particular beech woods produced nice flushes of honeys, and some Aborted Entolomas. I have found no Honeys in these beech woods thus far this year.

The aborted form of E. abortivum, which are actually, like Tasso says, Honeys, is edible. Some people really like them. I have tried them and I think they're okay. But with so many choice edibles available at this time of year, I'm not really attracted to them... except maybe to snap a few photos and document the observation. I have also tried the E. abortivum mushroom and found them to be quite good. But I don't recommend eating these on account of the possibility of getting a different Entoloma mixed in with the collection. A friend of mine who'se a good mushroom identifier once got quite sick from a meal that he believed was E. abortivum mushrooms.

DS, looks to me like the globs are the aborted forms (Armillaria), and the mushroom is the E. abortivum. Spore print for E. abortivum is deep salmon pink.

Here is what I found today. There were A. gallica present I believe. This was not beech forest, but one thing about that spot is a massive beech that sits at the bottom of the bench where I found all of the aborted entolomas. They were growing in the exposed roots of every dead tree there including maples, walnut and cherries. The A. gallica (Im assuming this is a type of honey) was growing with in inches of the others. Previously about 300yds up on the same hill I found others I believe to be A. gallica also. I have pictures of these and they meet most of the criteria including tan to brownish cap with yellow hairs, being bulbous at the end of the stipe, spider web like veils that barely leave a collar, white gills that bruise brown, and we will see if they have a white spore print tomorrow. I need to research some of the Pholiotas too. They look similar.

these two were growing against the same root as some aborted entolomas

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

I found these clusters up the hill aways

IMG_0177-1.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

I wish I had a picture of the A. gallica and E. abortivum together, but I had already removed the others before finding the A. gallica under the leaf litter.

These were given to me, I didn't collect them. But I did eat them and they were delicious, and had a different texture that I enjoyed very much. Here's a plateload of aborted entolomas. 69018_472019969485986_1747592578_n.jpg

Here was a regular, non aborted entoloma that was in the bag but I was advised not to eat because they are much more difficult to ID and the person collecting them didn't feel that it was wise just in case there were other mushrooms mixed in. But I believe this is a non aborted entoloma.

580963_472019616152688_687297529_n.jpg

Thanks shroomsgonewild.

I plan on trying them this weekend. I hear good and bad about them. I suppose I will have to decide for myself.

Any suggestions on preparing them would be great.

I did get spore prints of the A. gallica and they were white. They do resemble the Pholiotas though and scare me a little.

DS, those mushrooms you IDed as A. gallica look like Armillaria to me. A. gallica is a very good proposal for the species ID for at least some of the mushrooms in this collection. The key trait is that the partial veil is stringy/cobwebby, as opposed to cottony/membranous. I don't have any information as to the particular species of Armillaria that Entoloma abortivum prefers to parasitize. But what you describe sounds like a typical Armillaria/E. abortivum scenario... Mixed hardwoods with clusters of A. abortivum mushrooms, aborted Armillarias, and Armillaria mushrooms following the roots of various trees.

Shroomsgonewild, that does look like an E. abortivum mushroom. But like you say, it's more challenging to feel comfortable with an ID of the mushroom version.

I find Armellaria gallica superior to entoloma aborts for flavor and texture, they are easily identified and a choice edible, while the aborts are only ok (IMO) Gary Lincoff served us aborted entoloma's at the Ohio Mushroom Society fall foray this year....Not bad but I would have preferred the honeys :)