Sign in to follow this  
Kimon

Cut it or uproot it?

Hi, i have a question concerning the proper way of picking mushrooms. In a book i 've read (greek one, i live in greece) the author suggests to uproot the mushroom. According to him, if u cut it with a knife it will be more difficult for the mushroom to grow again, since the stem does not grow back and new mushrooms will grow directly from the mycelium (i think this is the proper word in english). However i see a lot of mushroom knives on the market, which suggests quite the opposite. Does anyone know which way of picking mushrooms is "correct"?

Thanks

I have seen mushrooms push stones out of the way when the grow. I do not think leaving a stem will keep a new mushroom from growing. Also, mushrooms deteriorate quickly, so the stem will rot away. And by pulling mushrooms they will have dirt on them. You would need to trim the stem off to keep your mushrooms clean in your basket or bag.

All of the scientific studies that I've read say that it doesn't matter very much if you cut or pull your mushrooms, although some studies showed a slight improvement in production of Chanterelles when they were pulled instead of cut.  I always pull any sizable mushroom that's being harvested and then cut off the stem butt just above the dirt line, for two reasons.  First, I get the longest possible stem for eating (most stems are just as tasty as the caps).  Second, I don't leave behind any cut stems to show any competitors where the mushrooms are growing (the stem butts are tossed far away).  For small mushrooms, like Winter Chanterelles (Craterelles), which grow in clusters, it's more efficient to harvest them by cutting clumps, especially if you use scissors.