Harvested Giant Red Reishi

rubyrue

Aloha, 

about a month ago I came across a giant red reishi in the forest while I was hiking it's easily 20 in. long across. It's definitely the biggest mushroom I have ever seen. I am curious if this is even a reishi…. a friend of mine is the one who physically took it off the tree. I was feeling very hestitant on taking it because I knew it was very old and I wasn't sure if taking this mushroom was the best idea. Is it sitting in my friends house and I am eager to process it. But wanted some feedback on other whether this mushroom holds any medicinal benefits considering it is way past its prime. I will try to post photos soon.

A picture would make identification easier. As far as medicinal benefits, reishi has been used for centuries to treat many illnesses. Now it is considered to have many preventative health benefits. There was been quite a bit of research done. I made my first reishi tincture over a year ago and haven't used it yet! Haha!! It's not the best tasting stuff in the world.