Morel???

ValerieO

Yes, that is a morel. Quick caution, however. They seem to be in a cultivated area. Before eating any mushroom it's best to ensure that herbicides/pesticides weren't used in the area.

I believe some of the morel varieties can be found in bark mulch, perhaps transferred from another area. Just a word of caution. Great find. Below freezing and snowing here!

Morchella rufobrunnea is a "mulch morel" that's common in S CA and Mexico during the winter months http://www.mushroomexpert.com/morchella_rufobrunnea.html. This seems a bit early in the year for this species; online photos from CA usually start to appear in February. And, I don't see the reddish-brown staining that's typical for this species. So, maybe it's a different species of Morchella... but, definitely a type of morel. I agree with rob about exercising caution regarding the consumption of mushrooms found in ares where pesticides/herbicides may have been applied to the habitat.

The mushrooms in the photo appear to be mature. I think they should be harvested now. 

Thanks Dave!. Appears that I was hasty on the cons and not the pros. Just wanted to make sure a new poster understood the potential risks and forgot to encourage the excitement of a great find.

Thank you all for this information. I assume we can eat them now? I will look more in my yard for others. So exciting! Oh and heard they won't grow again. Is there a way to leave the roots so they do grow again or maybe they don't grow that way.

Thanks again!
Valerie

Assuming that these are a saprobic type of morel, they probably won't fruit again, at least not in the same area where they have used up the available nutrients.  If there is a lot of mulch around, they may spread to and fruit in another area that has not been colonized yet.  Another possibility: they may fruit again if you add some more of the same kind of mulch that they are already growing in.