Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

We found this mushroom and would love to know what it is. We think its a Morel but would like to be sure before we cook it up :)

Please let me know what you think. There is no really odor to it.

 

Thanks you!

56816191515__581D989A-5258-4904-971B-F97F644E9636.JPG

56832001521__EDBCBD95-1E50-46DA-ADC3-A439D1A40B08.JPG

IMG_8853.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, that is a morel. Quick caution, however. They seem to be in a cultivated area. Before eating any mushroom it's best to ensure that herbicides/pesticides weren't used in the area.

 I believe some of the morel varieties can be found in bark mulch, perhaps transferred from another area. Just a word of caution. Great find. Below freezing and snowing here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Rob, we mulched there last summer and I think it came in with the mulch we don't spray in our yard so its free of pesticides. Can we eat it? If so, when should we harvest?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morchella rufobrunnea is a "mulch morel" that's common in S CA and Mexico during the winter months http://www.mushroomexpert.com/morchella_rufobrunnea.html. This seems a bit early in the year for this species; online photos from CA usually start to appear in February. And, I don't see the reddish-brown staining that's typical for this species. So, maybe it's a different species of Morchella... but, definitely a type of morel. I agree with rob about exercising caution regarding the consumption of mushrooms found in ares where pesticides/herbicides may have been applied to the habitat.

The mushrooms in the photo appear to be mature. I think they should be harvested now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Dave!. Appears that I was hasty on the cons and not the pros. Just wanted to make sure a new poster understood the potential risks and forgot to encourage the excitement of a great find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for this information. I assume we can eat them now? I will look more in my yard for others. So exciting! Oh and heard they won't grow again. Is there a way to leave the roots so they do grow again or maybe they don't grow that way.

 

Thanks again!
Valerie

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming that these are a saprobic type of morel, they probably won't fruit again, at least not in the same area where they have used up the available nutrients.  If there is a lot of mulch around, they may spread to and fruit in another area that has not been colonized yet.  Another possibility: they may fruit again if you add some more of the same kind of mulch that they are already growing in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...