Which Suillus?

diana

Been  finding these lately.  Pine tree nearby, sticky wet caps, tan spore print and cap skin turns pink with ammonia.  Just can't identify which suillus it may be.  Also, if preparing for consumption how do you remove skin?  And are the tubes removed also before cooking?  Guess the last question would be for all (eatable) boletes..

1225181645_HDR.thumb.jpg.a2e203281b5a26d8f5bb8ab8a79c0af4.jpg

To begin, we need to know whether or not these mushrooms had a partial veil. The one in the lower-center portion of the photo looks like it has the remnants of an annulus on the stipe. I see glandular dots on the stipes. So this is another clue. Pink ammonia reaction on the cap is good info. 

But, aside from the mushrooms seen appearing to be past prime --meaning key ID features may be difficult to interpret-- it's possible these mushrooms represent a FL species that I do not see up here in PA (or further north). If you can ID the pine trees, that would be a step in the right direction. 

It's very difficult to remove the tubes from a Suillus mushroom. They layer needs to be sliced off. Peeling away the cuticle is a somewhat laborious task; be prepared to end up with sticky resinous fingers. Personally, I don't think consuming Suillus mushrooms is worth all this  trouble, and with the slimy/sticky types the cuticle should be removed (in some species eating the cuticle will cause illness). The only Suillus species I eat is S. spraguei (formerly S. pictus), which has a dry cap surface that need not be peeled. And, I only collect the tight unexpanded buttons. Some people like S. luteus (need to peel) and S. granulatus (should probably be peeled). The Russians pickle these types (marinate in the fridge for a couple months). These species just metioned are found up here in PA. However, I believe they are widely distributed in NA. 

My feeling also about peeling..... too much trouble.  Now, if it was last year when I was hungry to find something edible I probably would have done  the work.  More jaded now.  Now the fun is in identifying.

But yes, veil present.  Actually found a young one couple minutes ago.  Pine is either a Florida Long leaf or a Slash Pine.

0106191421_HDR.thumb.jpg.27075513c7b6ac0b40cb2e7b887170da.jpg

I think this may be S. cothurnatus. Boletes of Eastern NA says it's range is SE NA including FL. The large partial veil seen on this fresher one immediately reminded me of S. salmonicolor, a NE NA species that BENA compares to S. cothurnatus, and says it's a "very good" edible as long as the cuticle and pv are removed.