Who's Finding Mushrooms Out There?

Here in coastal southwestern BC my main quarry at this time of year would normally be Winter Chanterelles, which I've picked as late as early April previously. However, this year we had an unusually cold outbreak of arctic air in November; and that knocked off most of the Winter Chanterelles, as well as the Hedgehogs that usually last well into December. I still found a handful of fresh Winter Chanterelles last weekend but not enough to be worth picking. So most weekends I've been searching for new Hedgehog locations for future picking. Hedgehogs are one of my favorite mushrooms, but they are quite scarce in this area. I'd like to have more locations recorded in my mushroom database. Even though they were all killed in November, they don't rot very fast, so that old fruiting bodies are still recognizable now. I've gotten lots of exercise looking for old Hedgehogs this Winter but only found some new locations today. These were duly recorded in my GPS unit and will be entered into the database. It will be interesting to see if these new spots produce anything next November.

This sort of Winter hunting will also work for Sulphur Shelf mushrooms, which turn white and fall to the ground at the base of the tree that they were growing on. This Winter I've found several new locations for these, although I don't consider them nearly as desirable as Hedgehogs.

Here in coastal southwestern BC my main quarry at this time of year would normally be Winter Chanterelles, which I've picked as late as early April previously. However, this year we had an unusually cold outbreak of arctic air in November; and that knocked off most of the Winter Chanterelles, as well as the Hedgehogs that usually last well into December. I still found a handful of fresh Winter Chanterelles last weekend but not enough to be worth picking. So most weekends I've been searching for new Hedgehog locations for future picking. Hedgehogs are one of my favorite mushrooms, but they are quite scarce in this area. I'd like to have more locations recorded in my mushroom database. Even though they were all killed in November, they don't rot very fast, so that old fruiting bodies are still recognizable now. I've gotten lots of exercise looking for old Hedgehogs this Winter but only found some new locations today. These were duly recorded in my GPS unit and will be entered into the database. It will be interesting to see if these new spots produce anything next November.

This sort of Winter hunting will also work for Sulphur Shelf mushrooms, which turn white and fall to the ground at the base of the tree that they were growing on. This Winter I've found several new locations for these, although I don't consider them nearly as desirable as Hedgehogs.

ann

1. Fantastic post!

2. Find a good amount of porcini...I atill awaiting my 1st hedgehog

3. Welcome aboard

~