Who's Finding Mushrooms Out There?

I'm sorry, I think I accidentally deleted this thread while trying to delete just one post from it and move it to the cooking with mushrooms thread. I will contact IP and see if they have a backup copy and can fix it, otherwise we may have lost that thread entirely. My fault folks and I'm really sorry. I'll try to fix it!.........remember, this is all pretty new to me doing this so I have some learning curves.

I'm still getting fresh Blewits from one patch that's been producing for a month now. These are really nice ones.

post-20-0-08468600-1290312868_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-92328000-1290312899_thumb.jpg

Mature Lycoperdon species in the act of puffing.

post-20-0-59711400-1290312935_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-29504000-1290312969_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-14719000-1290313063_thumb.jpg

Tricholoma caligatum. One of two types I've forund around here. Generally uncommon.

post-20-0-01638900-1290313107_thumb.jpg

Picked another pound of nice Blewits today; in the needle duff under Blue Spruce.

Here's an intersting one. Genus Elaphocordyceps. Species name has been debated on Mushroom Observor... possibly either E. longisegmentis or E. capitata (formerly placed in the genus Cordyceps.)

post-20-0-58401100-1290488346_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-47079100-1290488466_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-43222200-1290488513_thumb.jpg

As long as we are talking cordyceps here is a pic of what I think is C. capitata. It was found by a sharp eyed young lad at a club foray. I had never seen any sort of cordyceps before so I took a picture. This species also parastites a truffle like thing that lives underground. Does anyone know if its host is edible or worth digging up if the cordyceps is found again?

post-5-0-26086600-1290571606_thumb.jpg

From what I have read, the truffle-like thing is not edible at any stage of growth. Duff, looks like the one you found may be the same type as what I found and posted above. Your cap is lighter than the ones I found. But each of our collections shows the shiny cap uniformly covered in tiny bumps. The new genus for these truffle-parasitizing ones is "Elaphocordyceps."

It's surprising to me how often each of us finds the same type of mushroom at approximately the same type of year, despite our different latitudes.

The Blewits are hanging on later than usual down here this year.

I went out for a hike last Saturday with my brother and we came home with about 3 lbs of very nice quality late fall oysters. Started at about 6:45 and home by 10:30 we were able to locate a new area in some woods near my home that was loaded with fresh panellus. We also found a few true oysters but they were just poking out and not ready to harvest. The late falls made some mean omelets & a big pot of cream of mushroom soup - both came out very tasty.

Back out for 2 hours yesterday I harvested about a pound and a half of quality late fall oysters off a log I located a few weeks ago. I also went back to the area I found the week before with my brother but it hadn't produced a new crop yet. The true oysters we had found the week before were mostly past their prime but a couple were still fresh enough to harvest. I also found some big collections of true oysters that were too old but it's good to know where they live :)

Not finding much else in the woods these days - deadly gallarinas are everywhere, some sulpher tufts, a miscellaneous mushroom here or there but nothing too interesting.

We got about .3" of rain over the last 24 hours so tomorrow I'll go back to some late fall oyster spots I haven't picked in a few weeks to see if anything's sprouted up. The rain & still relatively mid weather (low 50's in the day & low 30's at night) should bring out more true oysters but I don't expect them to be ready until next weekend.

I have some good pictures from last weekend I need to download from my camera, will post them when time allows.

Happy hunting!

I wasn't planning to look for mushrooms yesterday, as it was cold all day long (high temp around freezing). But I had a reason to drive past a woodland park where there's a good Blewit area. Picked about 8 large Blewits that had frozen completely solid. I figured they would probably decompose quickly when thawed. I took them home and put them onto the kitchen table where they thawed. Not only did they return to a very desirable state, but they dropped thick spore prints. They're now sliced and drying out in the dehydrator.

The fat lady has finished her song and I think the opera is over for the year here. We have had snow cover for the past few days and even when it melts I dont think anything more will fruit here until May. We are well past the time when I normally give up and it is time for the great white north season where Canada reverts to being an igloo with a phone booth.

I agree with you DS !!! I do some winter activities such as ice fishing and maybe some small game hunting. I'm open to suggestions for something to keep everyone glued to this site thru the winter. Last winter everyone posted their best pictures, which was great. If you're like me, you don't have anything new to post. Camera is obsolete & doesn't work right, money's tight, ( Didn't have enough time to do anything ,but take care of the Grandaughter ) and excuse after excuse !! ( for me that is ) Let's brainstorm and come up with something new.

Here are some pics of the late fall oysters I've been finding last couple of weeks. I was hoping to get some better shots but I'm new to taking pictures of mushrooms.

You guys could definitely be right about it being over for the year but I'm still going to give it a shot this weekend.

Hey, I know exactly where your Oyster patch is, FB! I'm headed that way now w/ a spotlight! J/K, heh, but I really DO know where that spot is and have found oysters there myself as well as a nearby spot near a nearby refuge, wink wink. Glad you found some stranglers, I completely gave up on fall mushrooms this season... At least the duck hunting has been good!

Hey, I know exactly where your Oyster patch is, FB! I'm headed that way now w/ a spotlight! J/K, heh, but I really DO know where that spot is and have found oysters there myself as well as a nearby spot near a nearby refuge, wink wink. Glad you found some stranglers, I completely gave up on fall mushrooms this season... At least the duck hunting has been good!

I'm lucky to have found those, they were on a very low stump, almost down in the leaves. Everything else was gone or dried up if it was higher.

Last year I hunted down there with a friend, we walked in as a few Chinese (?) came out with big bags of oysters. Despite that we managed

to find her a cluster big enough for a meal almost under a log.

:cooking:

I went out 12/3 here in CT and to my amazement I found two hen of the woods. They were a little beat up but I took the larger one (about 5 or 6 lbs). In the same area I collected about a pound of the largest late fall oysters I've seen all fall. Unfortunately even though the hen was in decent shape and the flesh was still firm and white most of it was infected with mold and very little was salavagable. Driving around I saw a couple of nice true oysters growing in people's yards so I went back out 12/4 but all I found were more late fall oysters (another pound or so). It dropped down into the low 20's that night and when I tried again on 12/5 everything was destroyed by the frost, I think it's officially over now but glad I got out for the last of it. This weekend I'm heading out for some offshore seabass fishing in the Atlantic - reports are good so I'm optomistic for some nice big black seabass, cod and ling. Once they shut down black seabass in January all I'll have is cod fishing to keep me busy until spring.

• 1 month later...

The fat lady has finished her song and I think the opera is over for the year here. We have had snow cover for the past few days and even when it melts I dont think anything more will fruit here until May. We are well past the time when I normally give up and it is time for the great white north season where Canada reverts to being an igloo with a phone booth.

Don't lump all of Canada into one; there are still a few fungi growing out here in the banana belt. I went for a short walk yesterday and picked some late oysters. Not much else around amoung edible mushrooms so will have to look forward to morels starting in April.