Mushroom on bark id

Jamesj

Edible mushrooms that grow on the ground can up-take toxins from the environment. As a general rule, I don't consume mushrooms found in urban areas. But it's an interesting question whether mushrooms growing on a tree a couple feet or more above ground level are susceptible to contamination. I don't have any information applicable to this question.

As for advising WMH members to consume a given wild mushroom, I think it's best for us to keep the identification forum about identification. My opinion here is this. We can make suggestions regarding the identity of some collection(s) of mushrooms, but it's up to the collector to do the necessary research in order to make a well-informed decision about whether or not to consume the mushrooms being considered. Hopefully, we here at WMH are part of the learning process. I think it's best to additionally use two or three filed guides with detailed descriptions and good photos. I think it's a good idea to have at least one hard-copy of a published filed guide that applies to one's geographic region.

Oyster Mushrooms are not a real difficult type to learn. Still, there are a few other types --genera different than Pleurotus-- that may be confused with Oyster Mushrooms. I'm quite confident the mushrooms seen here are Pleurotus. Photos are good.