ID Help, perhaps chicken?

gravygracie

Hello everyone,

I found this specimen  yesterday (12/7/18) in the  Guana Tolomato Matanzas National Estuarine, in St. Augustine, FL.  The mushroom was growing on a live oak tree in a mostly pine forest, about half a mile from the intracoastal waterway.  I wanted to hear some opinions on it because it was growing on the same tree as a large amount of Chicken of the Woods, which was very aged and no good to eat.  My thought was that perhaps this specimen could be very young chicken of the woods?  In a mushroom book I had from the library (just returned today and I forgot the name) the picture of chicken looked pretty similar to my photographs of the specimen.  On the other hand, it looks way more watery and orangish than any chicken of the woods I have ever seen and other references from books of chicken of the woods looked way different.  The mushroom is very watery and meaty, when squeezed the slightest, water pours out.  The smell is somewhat sweet but perhaps a little bit tangy too... I can't quite put my finger on it.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  

IMG_0963.JPG

IMG_0964.JPG

IMG_0967.JPG