ID help

eat-bolete

on the ground, growing in small groups among pine.

Smell mild, taste mild

yellowish gills, flesh color ranging from pale yellow to almost orange.

Cap slimy/sticky

Gills seem to be slightly decurrent and attached.

some have a depression in the center and a slight umbo.

As photos show, caps range from greenish to orangish. Both have white spore print.

367AFB65-5FCF-4247-ABB6-A8C336B45993.jpeg

DA4F72EC-B6D4-45BA-8F9E-A16554C488B2.jpeg

C288F893-AFDA-4580-9ADA-D6FAB0E074D5.jpeg

B4AE5BBE-AE09-4F8D-AC23-DF5852F53980.jpeg

43A3B2D7-E177-4713-9040-8069BD965A96.jpeg

A species --or maybe two species-- of late-season Hygrophorus. There are a variety of these slimy-capped mushrooms. Most are pine associates. Here in PA and Upstate NY the two most common species (in my experience) are H. flavodiscus and H. funigineus. The ones seen here don't look like either of these species. H. fuligineus is slimier (cap and stem completely covered in stick gluten), and H. flavodiscus is a paler shade of yellow. Any odor noticed? 

Thanks Dave. Between the two, definitely looks more like H. fuligineus based on color. No odor at all that I noticed.

Not slimy enough for H. fuligineus. Also, that species usually produces larger/thicker mushrooms. 

I was out today hunting in a spot not much elevated above the Susquehanna River valley (relatively low altitude). Ran across some H. hypothejus. Cap color ranges from yellowish to grayish. Check this species. 

Herald of winter...I think that’s spot on Dave. Photos and description matches very well. Listed as edible, have you tried it?

I fried up the one Hygrophorus (hypothejus) cap. Not offensive, but nothing special. BTW, there's a new NA species name for this late-season wax-cap, Hygrophorus boyeri. Looking again, I'm wondering if you may have some other Hygrophorus species. H. boyeri generally shows more yellow on the stem/gills.