Sign in to follow this  
Romero

Can't Find Anything Like It!

I found these on the Oregon coast and have yet to be able to identify them; not even anything like it. They almost look like a plant or even worm, but after some palpation, they certainly seem chitenous. Any info is greatly appreciated. 

20170709_141050.jpg

20170709_141043.jpg

20170709_141033.jpg

20170709_141028.jpg

Looks like Monotropa uniflora--ghost plant.  It's a plant, not a fungus.  Rather than getting energy by photosynthesis like most plants, it is parasitic on certain fungi.

Yes, wonderful find on hikes on the West Coast...always a pleasure to see. I grew up knowing them as Indian Pipe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monotropa_uniflora

ETA: We saw some this summer hiking just below treeline in Yoho National Park. They always make me smile.

I call them Indian Pipes, too.  They grew in Michigan, where I grew up, and I see them around here in Virginia once in a while.

If not Monotropa uniflora --which the photos here really look like-- then some other species of Monotropa. The fungi that Monotropa parasitize are mycorrhizal with living trees (symbiotic tree/fungus relationship). So, indirectly, Monotropa gets it's nutrients from trees.