Yard mushrooms

Douglasjfetter

The prints always seem to lighten up a bit with my pictures.  There is a light above where I print and my phone seems to lighten it up a bit for some reason.  I am no photographer lol.  It seems to be a rusty brown a shade or 2 lighter than the picture.  After researching the hypholoma I am leaning towards brick cap.  Would you agree with this?

Everything I have read about brick caps though seems to say they grow on stumps or logs, these seem to be growing up out of the grass and pine needles right along my hogwire fence.  There is still more there I'll take a picture but there is no way my fence is 2 ft in the ground and they are scattered.  I can't believe there is a buried log there.  I'll check a little bit later.

Hypholoma lateritium grows on wood, but sometimes the wood is buried and the mushrooms appear to be growing terrestrially. Maybe some old buried roots? Spore print dark purple/gray-tinged brown. Other species of Hypholoma have similarly colored spore prints. 

Following are a few other possibilities.

Genus Agrocybe includes several species that often grow in grassy areas. Spore prints are fairly dark brown.

Leratiomyces is genus that includes two species that are common in California. There are indications these are spreading eastward. Leratiomyces mushrooms look like Hypholoma. They sometimes grow in grassy areas. https://www.mushroomexpert.com/leratiomyces_percevalii.html     https://www.mushroomexpert.com/leratiomyces_ceres.html  Spore print dark purple gray. 

Best to take all photos outdoors. Try to avoid direct sunlight or areas that are too shady. An area where one object like a tree creates shade but is surrounded by a larger area featuring abundant ambient light usually works well. 

Definitely don't see any purple or grey in the print.  I did dig up the area and there are some roots growing around but small maybe a quarter inch or smaller the mushrooms themselves did not seem to be "attached" to them.  These are the prints after 24 hours maybe you can see them better without the light.  

IMG_20181119_163150797.jpg

IMG_20181119_163129053.jpg

This is where I found them 

IMG_20181119_164039837.jpg

IMG_20181119_164010562.jpg

IMG_20181119_164002549.jpg

Actually, in the latest photo of spore prints I see a brown color with a purple tinge. Agrocybe has a basic brown print without the purple tinge, I think these are a species of either Hypholoma or Leratiomyces. It doesn't take much buried root/wood to support a saprobic fungus for a limited period of time.