Craterellis tubaeformis

What’s the right environment for these in eastern NA? My friend in Russia finds them by bushels but I’ve never seen them here.

I have only found a small amount a few times. That was in one of my black trumpet spots oak/beech-moss . I would like to know too because it seems like alot of folks have huge hauls and I'm lucky to find a handful. I just kinda figured I'm not in a optimal spots.

Matt, are you sure they were C. tubaeformis and not C. ignicolor? Not that I doubt you but that would be great news, because the from the sources I checked it seems that they only grow in coniferous boggy areas but doesn’t say what type of conifers and maybe someone found them in not necessarily boggy areas?

E-B I have found C.ignicolor and at the time these where what I believed to be C. Tubaeformis.I believed them to be C. tubaeformis due to the very dark cap color compared to C.ignicolor that I had found before. I found so few that I never went to great lengths to do a I'd post and each time was incidental while hunting for late oct black trumpets and early winter oysters. They where found in a river bottom approximately 20' from the river where a spring flows in so there's lots of ground moisture. This area does have some spoty ,very large pines scattered throughout but not enough to call it a pine bog but it's boggy.

They where not growing in the exact spot as the black trumpet. The trumpets are further up ,out of the river bottom about another 20' .In my mind after a 3 mile boat ride it's the same spot... lol . There could be a pine associated and since they where incidental at the time I just my have never noticed.

I didnt find enough to be 100% certain and perhaps a aging C.ignicolor could make for a good look a like? My very limited info is based totally off memory ,so it is what it is but I do  look forward to learning more about this one. Would be a nice option in the off season.

This all makes sense, maybe there was only a handful because of not many conifers being in the area.

I heard they taste better than true chanterelles. Gotta keep looking:)