Hydnum?

svs

Is it from a Hydnum family? Found yesterday in southern NJ in a mixed pine/oak forest day before first hard freeze. Did not see any during summer here. No distinctive smell, mild taste, not bitter. Spore print is white. Relatively small, 2-3 inches in diameter

20181110_094351.jpg

20181110_094359.jpg

20181110_094405.jpg

20181110_094410.jpg

20181110_094420.jpg

20181111_064234_001.jpg

There are a few genera of "tooth mushrooms" other than Hydnum... Sarcodon, Hydnellum, Bankera, to name a few. But the orange ones seen her are almost certainly Hydnum. Small size and pine habitat suggests H. umbilicatum. But there are other possibilities for the species. 

Svs, are aware of the New Jersey Mycological Association? NJMA is a really good mushroom club. They have forays all over NJ. (I am a member.) 

Thank you Dave. Yes, I heard about NJ club. I had in mind to join them for couple forays this summer, especially spring one, when they find morels occasionally, but each time I had some scheduling conflict. Hopefully next summer will be more successful. 

With Hydnum mushrooms I scrape off the spines before preparing as food. Not doing this results in the spines falling off while the mushrooms are cooking, and this causes the meal to have Hydnum spines stuck all over everything. I don't like the feel of this inside my mouth. Perhaps removing the spines would also reduce the amount of sand? 

I have collected edibles from the NJ Pine Barrens, taken them home, and then just tossing them into the compost after evaluating the amount of work necessary to remove sand. 

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:38 PM, svs said:

Thank you GCn15. I tried some. It was good but sandy. I face this issue often it NJ with its sandy soil. Some mushrooms are almost impossible to clean out of sand of found on sandy patch. 

Luckily, I rarely have that problem where I pick mushrooms. I can imagine it would be a drag though.