New hobby can use some help with ID

georgek

post-341-0-81335700-1348599063_thumb.jpgHello I am George i am new to this group. I recently started a new hobby of mushroom hunting and i have joined this group hoping for some help in telling me if these are in fact honey mushrooms (we call them popinki) and if this is a bolete and if the bolete is edible. Thank you for your help. George

Hi George. The mushrooms with the pores on the underside (like a sponge) are boletes. But determining edibility requires more information than we have available in the photo. Here are a few questions. What color is the cut flesh, and does it turn another color upon exposure (stain)? Do the pores turn another color when they are bruised? Is the flesh bitter tasting or mild? It's okay to taste a little bit and then spit it out.

I can't see the smaller yellow mushrooms well enough to get an idea for the ID. need a better focused photo, and need to see more traits... like gill color and attachment, cap color and texture, cut flesh, structure of the bottom of the stalk. Also, a spore-print color would be helpful. Place a cap gills-down partly on white and partly on black paper. Wait 12-20 hours and maybe the spore-drop will create a print.

But... I think the yellow mushrooms are NOT popinkis (Armillaria species). The gill attachment and color of the gills appears to be wrong for this type.

Popinki is what we call the Honey Mushroom here where I live (Northeast PA). What's your location, George?

Some other mushrooms i have found. By the way the boletes were not bitter and they did not turn blue. My friend said they are called Porcini also.We added them to a chicken soup last night and they were great. But i picked what i thought were honey mushrooms. but i was too sceptical to try them without confirmation. They are now in the compost.post-341-0-38966600-1348666294_thumb.jpg

These latest photos did not appear to post correctly. It's impossible to get any idea about what I'm looking at....

The original yellow mushrooms, posted twice, are NOT Honey Mushrooms. The gill attachment, color of the gills, and other features are wrong for Armillaria. The compost is a good place for these mushrooms : - ) I do not know the ID for these. I would need more information, such as spore print color and habitat. Were these yellow mushrooms growing on the ground or on wood?

this looks like coral. growing on a old birch log.

I am new at this but that looks like a bears head tooth mushroom Hericium americanum to me. The Hericiums are my favorite mushroom I have found this year and not only is the texture nice, but I almost swear they taste like scallops. I lived in Lake Winola PA for a while. I think that was Wyoming County. Nice area!

George, if you find the feature on your camera that you use to switch to a lower resolution (pixel density... usually labeled "VGA", "2", "5"... etc.) then using a lower resolution makes it much easier to post your photos here. Almost all of the photos I post at this site are low-res, VGA.