Help with Id

eat-bolete

Subdecurrent gills, smells mild but reminds me of Agaricus smell, tastes noticeably sweet, grow in a fairy ring I think, spore print appears white based on deposit onto mushrooms below. Very stout mushroom. Among oaks but probably saprobic.

FDEC522A-169D-4906-8E0E-A8F7A66B7535.jpeg

EB95FFFE-A405-44DD-85AE-A8AB8DAF19AE.jpeg

Camille, I find them smelling similar to Agaricus, which people describe smelling as almonds and cherries, so sweet smell seems to fit.

Our temps are still above freezing until Sunday night. Got another 4 pounds of blewits today. Other than that not much but my eyes are still checking the ground level as the oysters are starting to show up but they prefer downed trees to standing ones.

Clitocybe robusta has what I perceive as a strange odor... sweetish, but sorta sickly sweetish. Perception of odor is fairly subjective. I once ate half a meal that included C. robusta. (I had mis-IDed them as Lepista irina.) The other half of the meal... I threw it out. The mushrooms tasted lousy. 

C. robusta is a late-season saprobe that favors beds of coniferous needles, but is also found in a variety of forest settings. 

Thanks Dave. I did another spore print and it came out yellowish, so most likely C. robusta it is. Didn’t eat it.