Pluteus cervinus

diana

Started out as a gray bell shape yesterday but I didn't take a picture, too depressed.  Decided to put on my big girl pants and went out this morning. Growing from log.  Heavy and firm.  Spore print on the curved stem is cinnamon brown.  Been finding similar throughout the year but growing on mulch/leaf litter/compost. I didn't do a taste test because the log that it is growing from is DH's project and he has heavily fumigated (carpenter ants) to turn into lumber.

1108180826_HDR.thumb.jpg.ca152dedf7de30f0543f5006ac917a97.jpg1108180827_HDR.thumb.jpg.4ed7d729ad9cefc10695e8623ef5a4ba.jpg

Looks like a Pluteus, but I think the species is not P. cervinus. I'd consider P. petasatus http://www.mushroomexpert.com/pluteus_petasatus.html  or P. tomentosulus  http://www.mushroomexpert.com/pluteus_tomentosulus.html . I believe that P. petasatus more often grows on wood chips, buried wood, or woody debris than directly on a log. 

Thanks Dave.  Since I usually see both growing habits at the same time (some growing on log and some growing in wood chips or buried roots) would both varities exist at the same time?  Also, if found somewhere that has not been dosed by DH with pesticide, I take it they are interchangeable as far as harvesting/consuming goes?

The only Pluteus species I have eaten are P. cervinus and P. petasatus. I liked P. petasatus better. But these days I rarely take home Pluteus mushrooms for consumption. The blue staining species like P. americanus may be psychoactive. I have not eaten P. tomentosulus.