Oyster mushrooms?

VaAngler

They look like the ones I find and call P. Ostreatus aka winter oyster. I most often find them on dead or dying Beech,Hickory and Red oak....In that order. Often near streams but not always. Beech has definitely been the most productive trees for me but finding a dead or dying beech tree is not that easy in my area.

I do a lot of mushroom hunting via the river as well. Any down hardwood is worth a good hard look especially between now and March after a big rain,freeze or both.

10 hours ago, MattVa said:

They look like the ones I find and call P. Ostreatus aka winter oyster. I most often find them on dead or dying Beech,Hickory and Red oak....In that order. Often near streams but not always. Beech has definitely been the most productive trees for me but finding a dead or dying beech tree is not that easy in my area.

I do a lot of mushroom hunting via the river as well. Any down hardwood is worth a good hard look especially between now and March after a big rain,freeze or both.

Thanks for the advice! Are these a good edible? I'm planning on trying it tonight if so! Lol I'm floating the Shenandoah River do you also fish or just float?

I like them when they are young and use them in stir fry,tacos ...ect. Some can get very large and when they start getting old and dried out they take on a more yellow color.

I hunt and fish but most often from motorized boats these days. When I was younger we used to float quite often but it's been awhile. Mostly on the James and Appomattox.

On 11/5/2018 at 7:39 AM, MattVa said:

You find them between now and March? I won't find anything between now and March. I need to get the out of Minnesota...