Large white stalked polypores, 2 diff. species?

Gillian

Hi all,

Had a nice walk in the woods today and found these very large polypores in two separate locations but both on what seem to be fallen willow logs. 

The first group (pics 1-4) were singles or a trio with a stalk that joined the tree dark brown and hard like wood (first picture). Underside had white, deep, angular pores. Fleshy but not tough, 7-10" across.

The second group (pics 5-7) were "nested" together, couldn't get a good view of the attachment to see if it was woody like the others. Same texture, dry top, not sticky or slimy. Similar pores to my eye, same size.

I live in SW Ontario, so E. N. America.

Polypore.JPG

Polypore1.JPG

Polypore2.JPG

Polypore3.JPG

Polypore4.JPG

Polypore5.JPG

Polypore6.JPG

14 minutes ago, Gillian said:

Yes, I'll bet that's what they are! Thanks Matt!

I wonder if I could make soup stock with them if I cut off the pores (hiding creatures)?

Has anyone tried them in the Fall?

I've only used them in the Spring and never this old. They tend to be best when very young. I would think these may be past salvageable,  but maybe someone else has a different idea.