Help with ID

eat-bolete

Nothing but pitch pine around. Didn’t collect so won’t know spore color, but if it’s needed I think I can find more next time I go. I see some white on stalk’s upper part, maybe that’s spores? Didn’t taste, smell was a bit unpleasant.

CF182B3F-E0B1-4CC2-9C05-DF1DB3C48533.jpeg

BFFCB2CE-6602-4D42-B8AF-BA3423431890.jpeg

059DCF65-C518-4AB4-AC91-3AAF1442D4C0.jpeg

I think these are a species of Hygrophorus, maybe H. pudorinus which has a white spore print. I don't really think these are a species of Hebeloma (brown spore print), but there's not enough here to eliminate this genus from consideration. 

Thanks Dave. I actually like Hebeloma proposal better due to gills color. If I come across these again I’ll gather more info.

They may very well be a species of Hebeloma. Most Hebeloma species and some Hygrophorus species feature the flaky scales on the upper stem like is seen here. Gill attachment looks more like Hebeloma. Cap surface appears to be on the slimy/slippery side, which points toward Hygrophorus. But, Hebeloma caps can also look like this, especially when they're wet. The gill attachment seems to favor Hebeloma over H. pudorinus which is described as having subdecurrent gills... except there's a photo of H. pudorinus in "Waxcap Mushrooms of E NA" that shows notched/adnexed attachment similar to what's seen here. 

You mention an odor. That's actually what pointed me in the direction of Hygrophorus pudorinus... along with the coniferous habitat. H. pudorinus smells like turpentine. But, Hebeloma mushrooms often have distinctive odors. Some of the species smell like radish; some have a sweet odor.

If you run across these again, I'd be interested in knowing what spore print color you observe. 

Dave,

smell is like radish,

spore print occured at the spot onto the specimen below (attached). They grow pretty big, I found some almost 5” across

0738528E-BFC7-477B-8C2C-778C6A2A474E.jpeg

That spore color certainly looks like Hebeloma. 

I'm viewing right now on my office computer monitor --which seems to occasionally portray color too light or too red. Gills look kinda pale, although with a slight pink tinge. I'm guessing the gills are more brown than this. I think this may have caused me to consider H. pudorinus, a pine associate that has gills which can sometimes have a pinkish tinge. I guess i should keep this in mind when viewing on my office computer. Definitely not a species of Hygrophorus.