Pholiota aurivella?

Gillian

I found these two growing inside a cavity of a dead maple tree ~3' off the ground.

Since there were only two and recessed in the cavity it was difficult to get a good picture (lots of blurry ones!)

Could this be Pholiota aurivella? The top isn't very scaly but the gills seem attached and the stem is scaly. Not a noticeable veiled ring but there may be a remnant.

I didn't pick them since there were only two and I didn't know what they were. The cap pictured was already broken like this and there were a couple of nibble marks.

Shroom2.jpg

I'd say chances are good these are Pholiota aurivella. Ring zone on the stalk shows rust-tinged brown spore deposit. Sparsely scaly cap surface is often the case with this type. Was the cap surface sticky? Habitat --wound on a standing tree-- is typical for this species. Can't be certain with this much info, but looks like a likely possibility.

What had been called Pholiota aurivella in eastern NA for many years appears to now go by the name Pholiota limonella. 

Thanks Dave! I went back looking for them this afternoon to feel the caps but couldn't find the tree.

I read that they are edible if the scaly part of the cap is removed before cooking. Does anyone here want to "weigh in" on that?

I did find lots of Panellus serotinus while I was foraging. I had harvested some the other day, let them dry out a bit, sliced and sauteed...they were lovely.

Panellus serotinus is a decent edible, IMO. 

I don't eat any Pholiota mushrooms. There are a few types that will cause sickness. Many years back I sampled a few types of Pholiota. None of them were very good... slimy, little or no flavor.