Clitocybe robusta vs Lepista irina?

Gillian

Hi all,

New member here with a question.

I went out with a guided group yesterday and these were growing under pine trees, quit clumped together, over a 20’ x 20’ area.

White, undulating caps have darkened today.

Spore print is white.

Gills separate from stem.

Stem is fibrous, peels like celery, bulbous at the base. No ring.

Smell is earthy, not unpleasant. Not fruity or flowery to my nose. I read another post about smelling like corn silk and that would be quite close for me...like shucking corn.

Your thoughts? I haven’t tried cooking a bit of one.

7DDC666E-CB83-468B-9E3F-826214A882F0.jpeg

999AABFE-D75A-485D-9719-104BA911E78B.jpeg

EFBC212E-0F75-4EE8-9090-0DA3F3AD67B9.jpeg

38EEEEF2-1DF6-43CA-8DF3-85284195885E.jpeg

AE991660-32FA-4983-A52E-908D4EDD5CF4.jpeg

38846B63-979C-4711-8713-434B73FE875A.jpeg

EB9CD32C-FEC6-431D-9A4E-08F84BBE4BC5.jpeg

8352EAD7-7122-478B-AED2-9751614404FC.jpeg

I think the pure white spore print eliminates each of Lepista irina and Clitocybe robusta. L.irina should have a pale fleshy print and C. robusta a pale yellow print. In either case, the tint would show up on the white background. These don't really look like Leucopaxillus to me, but the white print and the separability of gills from cap context supports this genus. 

Interesting. I don't have a confident idea here. 

Thanks Dave, I looked those up and the ones I have do look like Leukopaxillus albissimus, although the stems aren’t as thick as the pictures I saw. Definitely a white spore print though and growing in conifer needle litter. I had sauteed them up but don't think I'll try them. It doesn't state poisonous, just not edible.

I will try that, thanks. The fellow that led the group did eat his with no ill effects.

I'll have a nibble and see if they are bitter.

ETA: I nibbled and spat it out but the flavour has no bitterness. It's a very rich taste (I did saute in olive oil).