some more boletes in southern Ontario

shroomersue

Ok, I have managed to identify Leccinum insigne, the great tipoff was the blue green discolourization at the base of stipe, turns brown slowly after being cut apart, and a browny spore print. Found amongst birch, maple mix.

Now the other one with the chestnut brown cap and big long fattening stipe, found under mixed hardwoods, gave me no spore print. Very firm flesh not discolouring when cut up. Can anyone give me some ideas?

post-205-0-91653100-1347927427_thumb.jpgpost-205-0-83892100-1347927457_thumb.jpg

I know they are edible but with some caution as Leccinums go.

Hi Dave, No, it did not have that fine white netlike reticulation at top. It seems to have an all over fine light brown reticulation all over. I picked it near area where the other leccinums were, and at first thought it was one of them. I know this mushroom is a juvenile version of some kind. The stipe and cap had very firm flesh. Pore area quite indented away from stipe so not attached. I did not eat these by the way.

One possibility is Boletus nobilissimus. This type has stalk typically almost completely reticulate, with the threadlike pattern widely spaced. Flesh/pores for this type are non-staining.

Good eye Sue, picking this one out of the crowd of red-capped Leccinum.