The Truffle pig strikes again

My 13 year old son loves to mushroom hunt with my friend and I. He always seems to have a knack for locating mushrooms, especially morels. He's so good at it, my friend and I call him the Truffle Pig. Recently he has located several mushrooms that were on our list to find, including cauliflower mushrooms, chanterelles, black trumpets and the old man of the woods. He found our first hen of the woods of the year this year. He was hanging out at his grandmother's last night and took a walk out back in the woods. He sent me these pics. Now we can scratch of bears head tooth and shrimp of the woods from the list. The last pic is of our first hen of the year.

shrimp.JPEG

IMG_1530.JPG

IMG_1467 (1).jpg

That is so awesome! I feel like my boys will be the same way if they stay on their current trajectory. Can you tell me more about shrimp of the woods? I have seen mushrooms that look exactly like the ones in your picture here in IL.

On 10/16/2018 at 6:37 PM, angela said:

You're lucky your son likes to mushroom hunt with you.  My kids hate it and find me embarrassing out in the woods since I have trouble staying on trails and get easily sidetracked by fungi.

Me too, mine will not go at all unless I trick them into it in some way. My youngest did bring me pics of Jack o lanterns she found while with her friends . Maybe they are paying attention some. Have you(or did you) found many A.mellea yet Angela....very few for me. Work has had me busy and I'm afraid I might have missed them this year.

Buckethead, great stuff man ! Looks like your teaching them right.

I've found very few A. mellea this year compared to two years ago.  On the other hand,  I don't eat them anyway since they give me nausea.  They sure do taste good, though.  

What I did get a lot of this year are chanterelles.

On 10/16/2018 at 6:37 PM, angela said:

What I did get a lot of this year are chanterelles.

I done well on Chants too and actually picked some last Thursday. Black trumpets where abundant and also found several pounds of pallid boletes. Found 4 baby hens yesterday so keep your eyes peeled.

This is my third season mushroom hunting and I have never found a hen-of-the-woods.  I can accept that there aren't any on my property, but I check other places, especially around big old oaks, and I just can't seem to locate one.  I think it's the only edible polypore around here that I have not found yet.  Any tips on where to look/what to look for?

Il

15 hours ago, angela said:

Any tips on where to look/what to look for?

Well I can only tell you what has worked for me in our area the past few years. Every single hen I have found has been around oaks and all but one has been under Red Oaks. The very first one I ever found was under a White oak. It's aways been mid to late October/Early November. All trees that would guess to be 100+ years old but some that are well over 200years.

Having said all that I'm sure they grow under beech,maple...ect in our area just as they do in other parts. The real huge ancient looking red oaks that produce several hens seems to be more reliable year after year. Smaller trees that flushed in the past have been less dependable...or so it seems to me. But just as you stated I have found monster trees that had nothing. My grandmothers place has 7red oak trees that are some of the largest I have ever seen and only one has hens. Don't give up they are out there and now is the time to look.