Big Mushroom in my backyard. East Bay, CA

sybloc

Very interesting! My first impression was "Berkeley's Polypore" (Bondarzewia berkeleyi, a seemingly appropriate thing to find in Berkeley ). But the mass consists of shelves that are kinda tightly arranged for BP. I think this may be an example of a young Meripilus sumstinei (Black Stainign Polypore), infrequent in western NA but possible. 

If you allow this to continue to grow, then it may reveal more clues. 

The biggest threats to the mushroom are insects and the weather. If there is an extreme amount of rainfall, the mushroom will grow very quickly, so then you could see the mature version. But excessive rainfall cal also cause the mushroom to rot more quickly than normal. If a drought sets in, then you may water the are near the mushroom to keep it from drying out in situ. 

I have found that watering with city treated water can hinder growth.  If I want to encourage mushroom sprouting and/or growth I use well water.  Of course that may only be a problem in my area where they do not use chlorine to treat water but that other crap that you can't use with fish tanks and ponds because it does not off-gas.