Just to be sure!

1shotwade

Some of you may remember the huge white oak we have on the property. That's where I found the huge berkley's a few years ago. Last year I found a hen but it was too old. I found these today. Can they be anything but hens? Spore printing now. They are young and fresh and NO BUGS!

Wade

GEDC0528.JPG

GEDC0529.JPG

Thanks guys! Mat, these are so young and tender and fresh I just couldn't let them stay there! This is also the first I have ever found that could actually be consumed so I'm pretty pumped about that! This week I harvested about 25 pounds of chestnuts and checked the hazelnuts and they are ready. Probably enough to fill my truck bed if I wanted to. Then top it all off with hens. God is good!

Later,

Wade

Mat, Indiana and probably VA, also, have wildlife habitat trees/shrubs bought in bulk cheaply for individuals to enhance wildlife on their property. That's where these come from. If I remember we put in 200-300 a few years ago and now it's paying off! I think they cost us something like $35 per 100. You can probably do the same thing. You should check into it! Also, we bought persimmons and they should start bearing anytime now. We have two wild trees producing but it's a battle to get any as all wildlife eat them!LOL!

Later,

Wade

12 minutes ago, 1shotwade said:

Mat, Indiana and probably VA, also, have wildlife habitat trees/shrubs bought in bulk cheaply for individuals to enhance wildlife on their property. That's where these come from. If I remember we put in 200-300 a few years ago and now it's paying off! I think they cost us something like $35 per 100. You can probably do the same thing. You should check into it! Also, we bought persimmons and they should start bearing anytime now. We have two wild trees producing but it's a battle to get any as all wildlife eat them!LOL!

Later,

Wade

I did the same thing on a few acres at my place, only 50-100 plants. Took a couple years but they are starting to get productive. 

26 minutes ago, 1shotwade said:

Glad to hear that Matt! Healthier wildlife produce more offspring. It's a win-win!

Wade

I usually put in a range of hard mast/soft mast producing plants that have quick yields as well as annual food plots. This year is a couple acres of sorghum,  turkeys appreciate the seed heads above the snow..

Matt, it should be run by the state. Either the division of fish and wildlife or the department of natural resources. Things change over the years. At one point we could buy 50 trees for $7. It, of course, goes up and not down but after numerous changes, it seems to me we are at 100 trees(minimum  )   For $50. Good chance the minimum was uped to stop the "3-acre farmer" from buying, then reselling the trees that are designated for wildlife habitat.! It's the best deal out there that I know of!

Later,

Wade

Hey Y'all! Just wanted to bump this so I could fill ya in on something. I just cleaned both hens and it takes a long time. I'm sure many know this but some may not. Some also, like me, being new to hens, have to learn the proper time to harvest. To start with, these were both the cleanest, youngest, tenderest and most insect free mushrooms I have ever cleaned! I can't believe I got them before the bugs!

What I wanted to point out to anyone who doesn't already know, is the differences in the two pictures. The one with the knife laying on to the mushroom was the perfect timed harvest. It was fully developed inside and almost bug-free with very little foreign matter in it. Very easy to clean. Maybe an hour. Notice how the frons are fully developed and spaced between them?

Look at the other picture. It is way too young to harvest! See how small the frons are and how tightly they are packed against each other with no air space in between? And how small the frons in the center top are?. I should have let this one go a few days! It was very underdeveloped on the inside. It would have gained at least 25% volume and been much easier to clean. It took a long time because of how immature it was.

Hope no one is offended but me posting this but I thought it was perfect timing since I had both pictures already there. Hope this helps someone in the future!

Wade

I just remembered another indicator of an immature hen is that it sets tight against the ground. The mature one did not! Hope this helps!

I picked one about the size of a head of cabbage once. It was in a high profile spot that other people hunt so it was a now or never scenario. Rather than clean each frond I just sliced the whole thing across the center section and fried it up like you would a puff ball or a lion's mane.

There's nothing like perfect timing. In my limited experience when they still look velvety then they are prime or atleast still in really good shape. And yours look great to me, that's what I hope to find when I go out.