Honeys ID

MushroomDan

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:37 PM, MushroomDan said:

I meant, are there Armillaria species that are more safer than other Armillaria species?

I've eaten a few different species and find them pretty much indistinguishable from each other. Have never gotten even remotely sick from them even after consuming large quantities as long as you parboil them.

I make a perogie and pyrishka filling with them and often over consume....lol

On 11/5/2018 at 9:06 AM, GCn15 said:

I make a perogie and pyrishka filling with them and often over consume....lol

I often over consume perogies also .  Seems like that would be the way to go to protect against too much mushrooms and extend a small amount since perogies hold only a tablespoon or so.  How do you make your filling?  Straight seasoned mushrooms or mixed with potato?

I love that there are real cooks on this board!  Everyone looks at me crazy for the cooking I do.  Only downside is that restaurants are such a disappointment.

My mushroom book says that Armillariella Mellea have to be boiled for 5-10 minutes to remove toxins. The water is discarded and they can then be consumed or used in cooking. The problem with this is the flavour goes along with the toxins.

1 hour ago, Dave W said:

The Armillaria mushrooms that I par-boil retain a lot of flavor. The texture also stands up well to prolonged cooking. 

Agreed. Tons of flavor.

5 hours ago, diana said:

I often over consume perogies also .  Seems like that would be the way to go to protect against too much mushrooms and extend a small amount since perogies hold only a tablespoon or so.  How do you make your filling?  Straight seasoned mushrooms or mixed with potato?

I love that there are real cooks on this board!  Everyone looks at me crazy for the cooking I do.  Only downside is that restaurants are such a disappointment.

I use just pidpenky fried with onions with a touch of either potato/ground beef or sauerkraut as the binder, if you will. I also use these two fillings in perishke. I try not to use to much potato because I make potato and cheese perogies as well and like these to be very different.