Blewits?

MushroomDan

Always wanted to ask these. How large does a Blewit have to be to be considered to mature to eat? Also, every time we eat Blewits my wife feels fine and I get a slightly minor stomach ache? Am I sensitive to them? Are there others who are too?

Peter, your mushrooms look like Blewits to me. Cap/gill color varies quite a bit with Lepista nuda. Light tan/buff spore print sounds about right. Did you collect a print on a white surface? Habitat for Blewits is diverse, anywhere there is decaying vegetable matter --leaves, conifer needles, lawn waste. Sometimes I find them on lawns. 

Dan, I don't think there's any requirement for a Blewit to be mature enough to eat. Sometimes old ones can be too deteriorated, or maybe riddled with insect tunnels/larvae. I have read that some people are sensitive to Blewits. 

Last year I ate about 3 small ones and got a mild to medium stomach ache. My wife ate more than me and was fine. This year we found more but I been too chicken to eat them, she is eating all of them.🤣

Went back out to the rhubarb patch yesterday and managed to find a younger specimen, which seems slightly violet to me.  Most are quite large by now as seen in this picture.

I threw out my last spore prin20181024_180144.thumb.jpg.bfda27f50f71e6568cc37f1ce5f61ff0.jpg t without photographing it, so am doing another. The last one was on white paper, the current, pending one will be too.

20181024_180204.jpg