Blewits?

MushroomDan

I’m curious too. I heard they grow under eastern hemlock but would like to confirm. Really like them but can never find more than 2-3

From what I've found and read, I think that Blewits are saprobic; and, as such are not associated with any particular trees.  However, the ones that I've found have been associated with rotting conifer needles, sometimes naturally falling ones and, other times, dumps of needle debris.  The most dense group that I've seen, only about a dozen, was growing on a tiny pile (maybe a foot in diameter) of various conifer needles that had been raked up in a nearby yard and dumped in an adjacent power line clearing.

hmmm, carpets of needles around, but no blewits...however no jack pine or spruce around here, maybe that’s why.

13 hours ago, eat-bolete said:

hmmm, carpets of needles around, but no blewits...however no jack pine or spruce around here, maybe that’s why.

I think that they are pretty widespread. Up here in the boreal forest that is their preference, it could be very different in your neck of the woods. They go with what's best in a particular ecosystem imo.

Most often spruce, but also pine and even infrequently hemlock. Lepista is a genus of saprobes. They tend to appear in the same spots for maybe a few years --until the nutrients are used up-- and then show up someplace else. Some years more in hardwood areas. Occasionally in grassy areas, and frequently on last year's leaf litter that's piled up. 

now that I’m thinking where I found them previously, pile of leaves makes lots of sense. Gotta go make some piles now for next year.

The spore print from the ones that I posted a picture of was light tan/buff.  I really dont have much in the way of pines around. A few red pines, but these are pretty numerous in my leaf pile and, as mentioned, in the rhubarb leaf mulch.

They are getting pretty big now, but I cant appreciate much "blue" in them,  more tan.

20 hours ago, Peter G Janssen said:

The spore print from the ones that I posted a picture of was light tan/buff.  I really dont have much in the way of pines around. A few red pines, but these are pretty numerous in my leaf pile and, as mentioned, in the rhubarb leaf mulch.

They are getting pretty big now, but I cant appreciate much "blue" in them,  more tan.

It will be more of a violet than blue in my experience. They tend to become tan in age on top but usually have some purple tones on the gills. If they started out more purple than they could possibly be blewits. Do you have pics of the spore print?