ID please. Hen of the woods? Maitake?

MushroomDan

Cubed Grifola is good in soup. I make a baked parmesan like eggplant parm. Takes a bit of work coating fronds in egg and breadcrumbs, frying, an layering with cheese and sauce  in a baking dish. I pickle some every year; blanch in a small amount of water, put into a canning jar, cover with hot spiced vinegar, cool, refrigerate for a couple months. Grifola is real good just sauteed with onions and eaten like steak. 

Just this Tuesday I deep fried some hen fronds. I dipped them in a thin milk/egg wash then coated them in well seasoned flour. Fried in oil(peanut) for 4 minutes at 310 degrees. Those babies came out golden, crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Very savoury and delicious and worth the effort.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the ideas guys! We sauteed half of what we found and froze in zip lock bags. Also dehydrated some and made powder from half the ones we dehydrated. We also have some raw ones frozen. Did we preserve everything right? Should the raw frozen ones be eaten soon?

I would try the raw-frozen ones first. I once had a bad experience with raw-frozen Grifola. When thawed it smelled bad and really didn't look very good. Tossed it right into the compost. The freezer I had used was not real good... a frost-free unit in the upper portion of a refrigerator, not a very tight seal. So, this may have contributed to the problem. That mushroom had been in the freezer for over 6 months. I currently use a large non frost-free chest freezer, and I have enjoyed excellent results with sauteed/frozen Grifola, even with stuff frozen for over 2 years!. 

Thanks for that last bit of info Dave. I was just wondering the other day if my maitake from last year is still good.(sauteed, frozen in oil)