chicken variant?

CCK

200+ yr old red oak died and fell two or three years ago.  This is 10 feet away; there are four of them, about 1.5 feet in diameter.  Maybe I found them too late and hence the white/tan, no orange?  no gills.  black edges not white. 

laeti.JPG

dang.  thx.  Will we get likely more?  

Not to be gross, but will old make me sick ?  There seem to be some solid parts.  Stringier than on fresh I found years ago, but thinking I could cook it down. There's SO much!  

Also, since growing out of ground, thought it might be cinncinatus, but shotwade, you sound positive so the "on the tree" rule sounds like there are exceptions.

People usually eat mushrooms to enjoy. Old chicken will taste like wet cardboard and there is no way around with cooking techniques.  It is unlikely you will see fresh one this year but it is likely for the next year. It may appear any time from June to September.  May be even on couple occasions during season.

ha ha ha ha.  Yes of course.  Cardboard, eh?  Mmmm. Lovely. ;)  With Merlot?

Meripilus sumstinei is an interesting note.  This is definitely stringy.  Here are some more shots.  Thank you so much for the education! 

bottom chunk.JPG

chunk.JPG

underside.JPG

topside.JPG

ha ha ha ha.  Yes of course.  Cardboard, eh?  Mmmm. Lovely. ;)  With Merlot?

Meripilus sumstinei is an interesting note.  This is definitely stringy.  Here are some more shots.  Thank you so much for the education!

addendum: cooked it, tried a square - stringy raw and super chewy when cooked. flavor (granted, cooked on cast iron alongside a seasoned venison burger) was actually quite good.  took a bit too much chewing though.