Trich?

Under jack pine, October 1, northern MN.  A friend thought perhaps a matsutake but I see no annulus on any.  The cottony veils (if indeed they are true veils) are scarcely visible when very young and then disappear. White spore print.  Pleasant mushroomy smell but nothing distinctive. 

IMG_0623.JPG

trich.jpg

I agree, a Trich, but definitely not any type of Matsutake. I don't recognize the species. T. fulvum is shaped similarly, but has a darker brown cap, a stalk that is not as white as these, and gills that are bit more closely spaced.

9 hours ago, clamp connection said:

Hard to find much on that one but I think mine lack the dark fibrils. I'm learning that the trichs are a murky genus. I may need to buy the book

The book and a microscope.

I'm not finding a good match for it anywhere, yet. I went back and collected some more mature specimens which have decurrent gills, while earlier stages appear to be mostly adnate.  Argg!  Can I preserve fresh specimens in propylene glycol? I've dried some but I'd like to preserve that fresh look of a couple and figure out what these are eventually.  It may be a long term project because I'm pretty busy with other work. I havent used my high power scope in 15 years.

IMG_0637.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Ha!  Looked at the top photo this morning and the first thing that came to my mind was "Hygrophorus"!

The strongly inrolled cap margins seen on the young ones seem like a useful trait. This points toward H. pudorinus, as does the presence of scales/squamules near the apices of the stipes (seen on larger/expanded ones). Mushroom Expert says this species has an unpleasant odor, and Audubon --within the introductory summary-- characterized the odor as "resinous". However, Champignons du Quebec says, " odeur indistincte, legerement fragrante a desagreable", which Google Translate converts into English as, "indistinct smell, slightly fragrant to unpleasant". This suggests the odor provided for the collection under consideration --"pleasant mushroomy smell but nothing distinctive"--  does not rule out H. pudoninus. But, the best supporting evidence for H. pudorinus may come from the Audubon's final comments on this type mushroom, "This common, widely distributed species has several varieties, which are distinguished by color and odor." 

Several sources mention that KOH on the cap and/or stipe of H. pudorinus causes a color change to orange. 

H. roseobrunneus is very similar in appearance, but is reported as an oak associate. 

hygrophorus_pudorinus_05_thumb.jpg

This is how they look when dried though, picture from mushroomexpert.com.   I see nothing quite like that macroscopically on my dried specimens but I did see some very faint reddish spots so I looked at one under my dissecting scope. I see some tiny reddish-orangeish polyp-like outgrowths on the upper stipe and lower part of the gills.  I cant tell if they are the same thing shown in the picture though, I'd have to see it magnified.