1st Chrome Footed Bolete & Honies (I think)

Sunny_0ne

We are camping this week. Due to our exceptional drought, I didn't expect to find any mushrooms.

However, today I found two kinds -- my first chrome footed bolete and what I think are ringless honey mushrooms (although I didn't take a spore print to confirm). I'm guessing it's because they grow on buried wood which holds more moisture than the soil.

The pinkish color of the bolete didn't show up in my photos, but it was there.

ringless-honey-mushrooms1.jpg

chrome-footed-bolete.jpg

chrome-footed-bolete3.jpg

Tylopilus chromapes is a very distinctive bolete. The light-pink-to-brown scabers make the stalk look like it belongs to a Leccinum, but the scabers on those types typically darken a lot more. The non-staining mild-tasting white flesh puts the Chrome Foot into the easy-safe category of boletes. Young specimens show a lot of pink on the cap and/or stalk. Older specimens tend to fade. But, the chrome yellow stalk base gives it away.

post-20-0-40126700-1347808846_thumb.jpg

Armillaria tabescens, Ringless Honey Mushroom, is not a type I see very often. I feel comfortable recognizing it on account of it's resemblance to ringed honey mushroom types. But there are lots of types of white-spored gilled mushrooms that grow in clusters. So it's a more challenging species to learn. For A. mellea and similar types, the cottony ring is a distinctive feature.

With ring...post-20-0-30023400-1347809290_thumb.jpg

Without ring...post-20-0-57902000-1347809342_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tip on looking for the cottony ring. I had no intention of eating those, but was tickled to think I probably got the right name. :)

Yes, I would have felt very comfortable eating the chrome footed bolete except that it was past its prime and had a lot of larvae in it.

But it was a thrill to find anything as dry as it is here. It's supposed to rain tomorrow. If it does, we might extend our stay here a couple of days so I can see what pops up.