svs

I think this may be a type of Matsutake. Cap seems bit on the dark side for White Matsutake. But, some of the photos found online show versions with fairly dark scaly caps. The low-sitting sheathing veil points toward Matsutake. Maybe one of the Tricholoma caligatum species? Interesting. 

Thank you Dave. I always wanted to find/taste Matsutake. My understanding is that it can be found in NJ. And it crossed my mind that this may be it when I saw this mushroom. But it did not quite looked like T. magnivelare and it does not have any strong/distinctive  smell. It said that T. caligatum is often bitter. I will test it if I find it again. Are any similar looking poisonous mushrooms I should watch for?

16 hours ago, svs said:

Thank you Dave. I always wanted to find/taste Matsutake. My understanding is that it can be found in NJ. And it crossed my mind that this may be it when I saw this mushroom. But it did not quite looked like T. magnivelare and it does not have any strong/distinctive  smell. It said that T. caligatum is often bitter. I will test it if I find it again. Are any similar looking poisonous mushrooms I should watch for?

Several poisonous brown/tan trich species to watch for.

I know that White Matsutake (T. magnivalare is the name used in Tricholomas of NA) is found in the Pine Barrens of NJ. My guess is the mushrooms seen here are one of the species in The T. caligatum complex. Probably tastes bitter. Regarding edibility, like GCn says, caution is advised. 

Went to the same spot yesterday and found some young specimens (attached). It is not bitter. Cooked and tasted some yesterday. I was somewhat disappointed. It was good very firm mushroom with mild taste, may be with slight peppery hint. But I did noticed any spectacular taste or smell usually described for this mushroom. So either my taste buds are not sensitive or NJ matsutake  are not conventional. On a positive note it looks like I survived and one day may find  another matsutake.

20181006_170526.jpg

20181006_170605.jpg

20181006_170706.jpg

20181006_170811.jpg

20181006_173648.jpg

When you do find the, sometimes, elusive T. magnivelare, I strongly suggest you don't cook them western style, and instead stay far east; steamed in foil packets with soy, ginger, and some mirin, or grilled over charcoal with salt and a mild oil.  And in soup, of course!

IMG_20151006_124429.jpg

IMG_20151015_180446.jpg