Sign in to follow this  
SheepHeadReaper

White Sheep Head

Found this 7 pound Sheep Head (Hen of the woods) last night. It was in a hallowed out beech tree and must not have seen daylight? Never had one this white. Anyone else seen this?IMG_1556.thumb.JPG.daf23fe187e420001b4d479d11e47ff6.JPG

IMG_1567.JPG

IMG_1570.JPG

IMG_1571.JPG

Nice. The more they're shaded, the closer to the tree, and the tighter they're tucked into the crotches of the root buttresses the whiter they seem to be, but they sometimes end up all wrinkled and distorted in shape being tucked in tightly like that. But those are growing outward and seem well formed. Are they white because they're growing on a beech? I've never found one on a beech.

I’ve found one around my place. Really pale tan on top. It grows the same every year too so it must be a genetic variation. 

I've seen hens on a tree with 3 distinct color phases. I've also tried to hide their presence by covering them and to a certain extent, their color bleached.  Here's a light tan colored one that's growing in my back yard. It's a little past prime, starting to dry, thin petals. Looks like a candidate for hen potato chips?

20181018_094626.jpg