Sign in to follow this  
RAU

Destroying Angel

Pretty sure I found the most inedible poison mushroom in our woods!!! The destroying angel. This is it right?

IMG_6717.JPG

Looks to me for sure like an amanita that’ll do some damage to you. I can’t comment specifically on species...

My woods are loaded every year. I could have collected 10 pounds of different amanitas. I believe I have yellow-orange fly agarics, brown panther caps, and the death caps. 

Ive read a couple times about how they have an “aura” -like some kind of fairy tale

275A1CCE-F979-48C5-949A-6E7F61E810E1.jpeg

D086A769-AD8D-40C5-926F-F7C95779BA65.jpeg

They are more common here than I originally thought. For some reason I thought they were like a needle in a haystack.... but I find them regularly here in western Pa... and I'm certainly not looking for them. In hindsight, I think maybe I heard from folks who live where they don't grow as often, or perhaps partly because subconsciously at least, I thought that something that dangerous, 'must be' less prolific. Now that I know what to look for, I see them pretty regularly.... especially late summer into fall. I saw these this week... and saw a handful of others that hadn't opened yet... wish now I would have taken pics of them too... they called to me... but I was on a steadfast Sheepshead mission.

20180926_152320[1].jpg

See the third one?