Some russula growing under our oaks

Yergaderga

Any idea what these might be, I'm fairly certain that they're russulas, but I know there are a plethora of russula species. They love our oak trees and have been growing there occasionally since probably July. I think there are a couple of species, but these in particular have brown tops that are kind of slimy when wet, and white undersides. I can update this with a spore print. I'd smell them but I have a cold and can't smell right :)

Thanks!

Andy 

20180922_125414.jpg

20180922_125422.jpg

20180922_125429.jpg

I've also been seeing this type Russula lately. Don't have a species name to offer. I simply just don't put the effort into Russula necessary to distinguish to species. This often requires noting size of warts on the spores and whether or not the warts comprise a reticulatum (partial or complete), exhibit a few connections, or are isolated. 

There are a handful of Russula species that are readily recognizable. Most are difficult. Even cap color is often not a dependable trait as some Russula species can have different color caps, and for some colors --especially red-- there are multiple species showing the given color. 

For Russula species ID you need a scope capable of allowing for observation of spore ornamentation. That is, the warts on the spores may be <0.5 microns high, between 0.5 and 1 micron, or longer than 1 micron. Also, warts may be isolated, form broken lines, form a partial reticulatum, or form a complete reticulatum. In order to see Russula warts clearly, you need to mount Russula spores in Meltzer's reagent (or perhaps some other iodine solution will work). Meltzer's is difficult to obtain, as it contains a controlled substance. 

I have a binocular AmScope that cost me just over $200, and at 400x I get a decent view of Russula spore ornamentation.