It's very pretty ... what is it?

4rum

It will become obvious that I know nothing about mushrooms. My recent good luck with Chicken of the Woods does have me very interested in learning more. Hope I don't put anyone off by asking questions here.

While looking for Chicken of the Woods mushrooms the other day, I found this. It is a layered shelf mushroom growing on the side of an oak tree. There appears to be no stem. The top is creamy white with no other significant color or pattern. This specimen appeared to be very fresh and was soft and pliable to the touch. Here's the top ...

nomushroomday014700.jpg

The underside didn't appear to have gills, but rather a very soft cottony matter like very fine sawdust. (I realize that my descriptions are very lacking). Here's the bottom ...

nomushroomday017-700.jpg

I left it undisturbed.

I think this may be an example of Climacodon septentrionalis.

http://mushroomexper...ntrionalis.html

The undersurface appears to be composed of spines/teeth. This type mushroom is somewhat spongy, but rather tough. It is a common occurrence on maple or elm, and other hardwood trees. Not edible.

Nice photos!

Thanks for the response Dave. In the last few weeks I've become comfortable with picking Chicken of the Woods. I want to check some of the same woods for Hen of the Woods. It's really great having a place to discuss them. I'd also like to try Chanterells, but I haven't seen any. I'll need to study them a little more anyway.

Sam