Sign in to follow this  
CamilleR

Saturday's finds

My baskets and dehydrator have really been getting a workout this year! I now have a quart of black trumpet powder. Then I had another chicken at a location where I picked one three months ago. Been a great year here, just waiting on the hens.

WP_20180915_008.jpg

WP_20180915_006.jpg

Very nice Camille! It has indeed been a good year. I suspect it will be almost time for Honeys here in my area sometime very soon.

Awesome finds!!! I hope to run across black trumpets someday.

That's awesome,  good for you.  I would be lucky to get a quart of dehydrated trumpets in a year and cant imagine enough to get a quart of powdered! That's great!

We have 40 acres of oak woods and trumpets the majority of what we get. Wish I could sell them.

Congrats! I found a handful last night nothin like that!!

IMG_6722.JPG

On 9/18/2018 at 9:45 AM, CamilleR said:

We have 40 acres of oak woods and trumpets the majority of what we get. Wish I could sell them.

Is there not a market for black trumpets? I read they are wonderful tasting mushrooms.

RAU looks like you had a nice day too. Bird-Man, I have the Chanterelle license but it doesn't cover the trumpets. I've heard people in other states selling them.

In Georgia there's definitely a market for them especially in Atlanta where the majority of the upscale restaurants are.  I'm totally envious of you're haul though, i've only found them twice and it's never been more than a couple dozen or so, but i love the depth of flavor they have from such a thin little mushroom.  Do they like specific species of oaks or a specific type of ground cover in particular?  

Our woods has a lot open ground, old oaks. I don't think they like ground cover. There were thick patches where the turkeys scratched the leaves up.

I used to pay $30/lb for trumpets at retail. We have a large mushroom farm within 10 miles that not only grows the “normal” commercial varieties but trades in exotics. I don’t know how much they pay for “trade-ins” but if there’s anything like that near you it’s worth a shot.

Wow. Well I'll definitely check into that and do more research for next year. I was hoping to get some chanterelles sold and get into the market that way, but my patches didn't produce like I thought.