Poss. Russala brevipes

sdubuisson

Hi everyone! 

Founs these guys around some oaks on the ground. Think they might be R. Brevipes, its a shame none were infected with lobster fungus! 

Cap: white/yellowish maturing to light orange and brown. Darker rings like a tree stump getting more frequent towards center. Indented center of cap, aysymmetrical. 

Pore Surface: white gills running to stem, easily detached. No veil seen. 

Stem: thick/short white stem with a crunchy and tough texture. 

Bruising: none 

Taste: somewhat bitter? I didnt do much beside lick it lol

Smell: earthy, metallic, fishy (had a bad spot on the cap)

Size: palm sized and larger

Spore print: light orange, my cat erased half in the picture with a swipe of his tail :(

Ill put the spores under a scope tomorrow at work and add that too. I have some better pictures on my camera if these arent enough! Thanks! 

Samantha

20180912_121705.jpg

20180910_112839.jpg

20180910_110831.jpg

20180910_110803.jpg

I think you have yourself some sort of Lactarius. If I’m not mistaken, I seen white latex in second photo. Also note the rings on cap. Most Lactarius have that feature ( I believe)  Not sure the species but I would bet 3 bucks it is probably spicy lol. Small amount nibbled then spat out is key in identifying some mushrooms. I’m no expert so the experts should be chiming in soon 

Looks to be possibly the same species as  https://wildmushroomhunting.org/index.php?/topic/4224-found-a-handful-of-new-species/. I'll link this discussion to the other, as well.

sometime later tonight I'll have a chance to check my Milk Mushrooms of North America book. I'd like to check the spore print color for Lactarius yazooensis.

The spore print of Lactarius yazooensis is reported as yellow. That's not way different than the color seen here. And the print seen here looks to be very thick. A thick spore print can look darker than normal. Here's another idea... Lactarius psammicola.