found a handful of new species - nice brown leathery shroom

Mycophagus

Can't identify some of these, I'm hoping y'all can help - found in a campground park near a reservoir after a nice week of rain and good temps

This was a pretty one found in a small area in a healthy woods near some dead wood - mix of cherry, oak, hickory, and cedar among others... sounds like a good mix for the smoker. The mushroom had a nice leathery smell, I think the stem is hollow... nevermind, just full of worms... Pics are dark, but the stem and gills are mottled tan/pink/white

IMG_3784.JPG

IMG_3785.JPG

IMG_3786.JPG

The Matsutake types of Tricholoma are generally good edibles (the non-bitter types). But there are several other species of brown Trichs that mainly lack partial veil (or have a very thing fleeting veil), some of which will make you ill if you eat them. 

With Trichilomas it becomes easier once you find a matsutake type and learn the unmistakeable aroma of it. T. Magnivilere have a strong aroma of gym socks and red hots (cinnamon) and caligatum is not as pungent but very cinnamon. Caligatum edibility varies. I have had some that are fantastic and picked others that were slightly bitter.

There's an entire field guide just for the Tricholoma species of North America. Lots of different types. The Matsutakes form one very small subgroup of species.

Here in the east, White Matsutake is found in the pine woods of Cape Cod, the Pine Barrens of New Jersey, and maybe also the pine woods of Long Island. There are also isolated areas in coniferous forests where they are found. Much more common west of the Rockies, where they are collected commercially. I haven't heard of people getting them in the midwest. Maybe best chance n the coniferous forests of northern Michigan or Minnesota...?