found a handful of new species - amanita or agaric?

Mycophagus

Can't identify some of these, I'm hoping y'all can help - found in a campground park near a reservoir after a nice week of rain and good temps

This one has white gills, the veil was closed when I picked it but opened to show the gills inside. There were older specimens around that were completely brown and shriveled - looks like an amanita of some sort to me. The shrooms were growing in a cluster, thought I had found a few puffballs at first

IMG_3780.JPG

IMG_3781.JPG

IMG_3782.JPG

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:30 AM, Mycophagus said:

Chocolate brown spore print, the gills turned brown, I think I threw out a nice little meadow mushroom. 

Unless you are willing to play Russian roulette with your health, and possibly your life, you will throw out many mushrooms that were possibly edible. You did the right thing by not eating it. There are many poisonous mushrooms that are virtual dead wringers for meadow mushrooms. Agaricus needs more than a spore print to confirm edibility. Scent, staining, habitat, veil remnant patterns, are also important descriptors. A white agaricus with a brown spore print could be one of many types, many of which can be toxic.

No doubt - white shrooms with gills are one of the last places I’m looking for a wild snack. Bumper crop of golden oysters all summer anyways so I’m well cared for. It does make me wonder how the villagers of days past told the good white mushrooms from the bad when they are so similar apart from habit and practice  

18 hours ago, Mycophagus said:

No doubt - white shrooms with gills are one of the last places I’m looking for a wild snack. Bumper crop of golden oysters all summer anyways so I’m well cared for. It does make me wonder how the villagers of days past told the good white mushrooms from the bad when they are so similar apart from habit and practice  

I would imagine that after someone got good and sick the villagers would share the information. lol