Maybe Austroboletus ??

It would be interesting if A. gracilis is found as far south as LA, and in oak woods. It's primarily a northern conifer associate. But these do look somewhat like A. gracilis. However, I tend to think these are a species of Tylopilus. In either case, spore print has a pinkish or reddish tinge to the brown color. Austroboletus has spores with tiny pits on the surface... a tricky thing to observe even with 400x magnification. 

What is the key feature that automatically says Tylopilus?

Or is it just years of observation and knowledge ?

I can’t seem to even get a genus correct on these boletes. Lol Guess I’ll have to bite the bullet and get Boletes of North America 

Tylopilus badiceps???

I believe this description is extremely close to what I observed. Especially the velvety cap.....mild (rather than bitter) taste 

Just found this ......

https://www.mushroomexpert.com/tylopilus_badiceps.html

The stature of these mushrooms is very similar to Boletus. But the maturing pore surface tends toward brown with no sign of yellow/green points toward Tylopilus. Many types of boletes have pores that turn yellowish/green at maturity. Tylopilus pores turn pinkish/browinsh at maturity. Also, with few exceptions, Tylopilus mushrooms do not stain blue, but many of them stain brown/pinkish-brown on the pores and/or cut flesh. (One exception is T. sordidus, which stains both blue and red.) Austoboletus gracilis is a sorta oddball that exhibits some traits associated with Tylopilus. It had been placed in genus Tylopilus for some time.