Hoping I found some Prime Edulis!

BastedBrew

I usually find red/yellow boletes that stain blue instantly or are riddled with worms and spiders and pillbugs.

I came across these today and couldn't help but pick (MOST) of them, I never pick all the mushrooms in a flush.  Let them drop their spores and be happy.

I left about 5 more pounds of these out there.  

White, firm pores on the underside that don't stain when cut or pressed. 
I did not notice a veil of any kind.
Stems are solid, worm-free and hefty. 
No bitterness whatsoever, actually the small piece I tasted was delicious.
I am taking a spore print now. 
Photo #5 is the oldest, and is yellowing on the underside so no matter what it's either a different bolete or too old to be any good.

Photo Sep 06, 5 05 33 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 06, 5 03 35 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 06, 5 03 43 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 06, 5 04 55 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 06, 5 05 59 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 06, 5 46 14 PM.jpg

Went back for more today.

Definite association with oak. Not sure of the tree species but my dog loved eating the acorns. Mixed understory trees. Buckthorn is the only one I can ID by sight, but the boletes were growing at the bases of the oaks or above the roots.

Found a couple giants that I wish I would have seen yesterday or the day before... each is about 6” across. Hanging out amongst a lot of the little orange corals shown in the pic.

D65A927A-1304-41BA-A0B9-5480A3C9E5E8.jpeg

DD678571-6C2E-4488-9EAB-308E382C67A6.jpeg

Oak woods suggests either B. separans or B. nobilis, which an be difficult to tells apart. But, I think these may be B. nobilissimus, another oak associate. As for edible qualities, all three types mentioned are excellent when young with firm flesh that's not infested with insects. These look to be be in perfect condition!