Rondayvous Posted October 24, 2020 Report Share Posted October 24, 2020 I would never say it is always the case. God knows there are people that can't eat wheat, nuts, certain seeds etc ... But I wonder how many cases of people eating otherwise edible mushrooms might be eating old, rotten or contaminated mushrooms. It reminds me of people that go fishing without an ice chest or a stringer. 90 degrees outside, catch a fish and throw it into a bucket where it sits for an hour or two. By the time they get it home rigor mortis has set in, the fish stink and taste awful, or worse. Personally, if a knife doesn't cut effortlessly through a polypore I don't put it in my bag. One of my favorite mushrooms is the young white outer grown on a hemlock varnish cap. Cut just a bit too far and it is bitter, tough and nasty. Inedible when mature. I wonder if "over-ripe" hens might be part of the issue some have? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.