My first chicken of the woods find

SteveDan

One of the truly unmistakable edible mushrooms. Nice photos of top and bottom, Steve. This one looks like it's at a good stage for eating.

Some people are allergic to Laetiporus. Last summer, a friend of mine got sick --nothing serious, discomfort/indigestion-- after eating some Chicken Mushroom as a pizza topping. So I'd suggest trying it sparingly, at first. Also, there are some reports of Laetiporus types that grow on coniferous wood or eucalyptus as being more prone to cause the bad reaction.

Thanks for the reply Dave. I guess I'm lucky in that half my land is pines and the other half is mostly hardwoods. This one was growing on a beech log laying on the ground. I just wish I was more knowledgeable, there are tons of species growing around here! I really want to join one of the clubs you mentioned before, I just need to find more time.

Thanks DS! I sliced them up yesterday and boiled them for about 5 minutes and put them in the fridge. Last night I took out a slice and fryed it with some olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper, being my first one, this was the test slice as to whether or not I'd react to it. Boy was it a great tasting fungi! I ate two slices today for the sencond part of my test and all is well. I could eat them all at once, they are so good!