Which bolete?

eat-bolete

Reticulated stem, often with a bulbous base, dark brown cap with a bit of purplish...Base of the stem often has yellow/green spots, flesh darkens/reddens slightly when cut.

Also as it ages, the stem base seems kinda a bit marshmallowy inside.

Tastes good, rarely touched by worms.

Grows often gregariously.

B2AD5931-261A-4655-802F-F63741661094.jpeg

61F2D99D-BDFA-4855-B8F8-0C696423FB7F.jpeg

64836340-22CC-46CD-B9AA-943D761E4F06.jpeg

FB792F24-E165-44A2-995D-0DB7B634DAB1.jpeg

C35C68C1-0787-4649-BFD5-41440C0B6AC8.jpeg

F6B54E6A-5659-4D79-BCF9-B778232BEC22.jpeg

661B5FE1-EB4B-441C-8525-EC3E1DF15DEC.jpeg

I thought Tylopilus too, but can’t pinpoint which one. It doesn’t stain’bruise really, and the older specimen don’t develop pink pore surface.

Here are photos of cross section...immediate and after 10 minutes, which shows ever so slight darkening of the flesh.

Also shown, pores bruise brown after a while.

Most notable, in my opinion, is the stem. Besides the greenish spots at its base, it has a kind of springy outer shell, and more pithy inside.

58B7A1F7-2EA6-46AB-A409-A1DC413DC25E.jpeg

668EC4F0-A9B8-4188-BC84-84DF0D13EAB7.jpeg

diana, I think you are right. Based on North American Boletes book, T. variobrunneus stains dull pink, so it matches. The fact it grows in sandy soils among oaks matches as well. The only thing is it’s listed as a southern mushroom, but I guess with a hot summer like we’ve got, it decided to fruit up here. Don’t like that it’s edibility is unknown, but willing to be a guinea pig.

PS: Spore print color matches too.

3E2C73D5-9A96-4091-9F01-2AB5AB578C61.jpeg

Fried a little bit, it’s delicious. It does have a sliiiiiight bitterness to it, but it disappears quickly. I don’t like bitter things like bitter melon etc, but I’m enjoying this. Let’s see if I have any ill effect.

11 hours ago, eat-bolete said:

The only thing is it’s listed as a southern mushroom, but I guess with a hot summer like we’ve got, it decided to fruit up here.

According to the Bolete Filter it is a northeastern species....

I wish:) been reading about Leccinums, I’ve eaten it all my life, yet there are reports of poisoning, so now I’m wary about eating it and feeding to my family. Everyone’s body is so different.

The Leccinum poisonings occurred in both Colorado and Michigan. They were orange-capped ones (I think). While in the Rockies I ate orange-capped Leccinum several times without incident. 

Tylopilus mushrooms are mycorrhizal species associated with certain types of trees. Unlike saprobic species, they do not readily "migrate". However, it is possible that some types will ionly fruit when the soil reaches an atypically high temperature. Numerous species of boletes and Amanitas considered to be southern NA types occur up along the east coast, often all the way up to CT or even Cape Cod. 

Thanks for the info Dave. I haven’t seen this Tylopius sp. here before, but this summer sure is atypically hot.

Found a flush of these at North Park this past week. Produced a pinkish orange spore print,  had a mild bitter taste, bug free. So many different species grow in the spot they were found. A tooth Sarcodon?  a few feet away.

20180823_121848.jpg

20180823_121927.jpg

20180822_163831.jpg

Looks like the same Tylopilus sp. to me. I noticed the slight bitterness is more pronounced in young butons.

Looks like a Sarcodon, from the top at least.