Possible New Hunting Area

Rex

I took a guy on a paid foray last week and thankfully the rain had cooperated enough that we were able to find some mushrooms!

Anyway, he lives close and has become a mushroom animal. I'm trying to slow him down, a little. :hungry:

He text messaged me this afternoon thinking he's found a huge amount of both chanterelles and hens.

Until now, I've had to travel some distance to find them in my area.

7 AM meet up. Wish me/us luck. :fido:

I found many peach colored chanterelles this year also and was a bit put off by something I had read questioning their edibility. I threw what I had out and kept no more. The article made it seem as if they were rare, but I found them growing with Cantharellus lateritius and in spots where I had picked them. Others were flame colored chanterelles (Craterellus ignicolor) and the small Cantharellus minor which I had seemed to end up with a pile of one day along with horn of plenties, possibly winter chanterelles and fragrant black trumpets. I thought all chanterelles were edible, but apparently there is some questionability about some.

I found almost 4 pounds of the peach colored chanterelles last year and had no problems with them. They definitely are not rare in this area of the country.

I just double checked, and William Roody (in Mushrooms of West Virginia and the Central Appalachians) and David Fischer and Alan Bessette (in Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America) say they are edible with no cautions noted. Also Michael Kuo (in 100 Edible Mushrooms) mentions them with no note of caution about eating them.