A cluster of????

I found these walking through the woods today as well as a bunch of chiggers that tore me up... I didn't want to disturb them since young and maybe they are something edible.  Any ideas?  I know there is no print but this was the best I could do in the moment.  Even several species that I could research and then identify them more in-depth tomorrow. The stem was hollow I cut one off with a knife.  The gills ran slightly down the stalk but only an 8th inch or so.

IMG_20180821_165006372.jpg

IMG_20180821_170024065.jpg

IMG_20180821_170939034.jpg

IMG_20180821_165042336.jpg

IMG_20180821_165421872.jpg

Thanks Matt.  I am going to harvest them today and make a spore print and get some better pictures.  Never ran into chiggers before but I would rather fall off a roof than get them again!!

Chiggers are usually the gift that keeps on on giving. The itching and scratching can last days to weeks. I'll take ticks over chiggers any day but seed ticks are a close second....all bad. A good quality bug spray is a must this time of year but I get caught without it occasionally and regret it every time.

It is awful!!!! I have an update on the clusters i found, there were a bunch after I went back to find the ones in the pictures I saw tons more.  I harvested some and am taking a spore print now.  I will probably start a new thread with better pictures.

5 hours ago, MattVa said:

A.Tabescens (ringless Honey's) would be my guess but the pics are a little blurry. I hate chiggers I was smoked by them back in June and I'm still scabbed up.

They look a little small to be A. Tabescens also a hollow stem does not support Armillaria either.

Armillaria mushrooms --a variety of different species-- at first have stalks that feature a fibrous "skin" and a white cottony stuffing inside. As the mushrooms mature the cottony interior may stain reddish-brown as it withers away --or is consumed by insects. The result is that the mature Armillaria mushroom may have a stalk that is somewhat hollow. So, I wouldn't rule out Armillaria on this basis. But I agree about some of those caps looking small for A. tabescens.